Monday, October 10, 2011

October 6 E-Mail

I wish I could write you about all my conference feelings, but I left my notes in my room, and frankly you've watched it yourself. I do remember that I loved Elder Holland's talk from priesthood, and Elder Callister's from Sunday morning. Conference was kind of painful because we had to sit for 10 hours straight in pretty uncomfortable chairs. But, it was still very spiritual. And it seemed to be over just like that. I really do love listening to the prophets . . . 
Also, Sunday night we had a devotional where Chad Lewis, an NFL football player from BYU, talked. It was inspirational, and the best part was singing this great rendition of "Called to Serve." We start off quiet and then grow in power as if we're modern revelation. And the Spirit was so strong being here in the MTC. Singing the priesthood rest hymn with 2,000 missionaries brought tears to my eyes, arching over a hill, and it was so powerful and spiritual!
Some other interesting tidbits from the mish: There's an elder in our branch who looks a ton like Joseph Gordon Levitt from the movie "Inception." He's hilarious and cool, and kind of a stoner. :)  Also, we have two teachers. Hermano Notemayer is 4 months off his mission to the Dominican Republic. He speaks perfect Spanish and hates speaking english. Hermana Lucero went on a mission to Mexico and is from there as well. She's been here since January learning English. She actually speaks more English that Notemayer, who is from Wisconsin, which is funny and welcome.  :)  But, the classes are pretty much just in Spanish.
I haven't written you much about the daily doings here because it's frankly all the same and would be quite boring reading for you.  There's a ton of time to study, and hours of Spanish class each day, too.  We teach our teachers, who pretend to be investigators from their missions - which is actually really enjoyable.  It's exciting and spiritual and is great to try and teach in Spanish.
I'll close with a great quote from one of the devotionals or firesides I keep going to. It's from Elder L. Tom Perry speaking at the MTC: "Are some of you here because your fathers wanted you to be here? Just remember that Jesus came to earth and gave the atonement because his father wanted him to be here."
Thanks for your support, please keep sending letters!  :)
Con Amor
Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment