Thursday, November 3, 2011

Latest from the MTC

Here is Elder James Parry's latest e-mail from the Provo MTC, in its entirety:

This week has been good. The Zone Leader's district, the ones who got in just before us, left on Sunday and Monday, so now we're the "oldest" ones here. It makes it seem even more like we've been here forever, and that we'll be leaving soon. We'll be getting our for sure departure date and travel plans around the 10th, and should be leaving around the 21st. I'm starting to feel nervous and un-prepared. Before I thought I was doing great, but now it seems like the field is coming up way too fast :/ So, I'm just going to have to work harder. I'm almost done with Jesus the Christ! I'm on page 550, and it has been amazing. I have learned so many things I didn't know about the Savior and His ministry. It's strengenthed my testimony so much. :) This week, for the devotional, we thought and hoped that we'd get President Monson because he was down giving a talk at BYU earlier in the day, but we got a 70 instead :/ Elder Craig Zwick. It was ok though, because he gave a great talk about prayer. He talked about his mission and how, when he was in Argentina under Elder Scott as mission president, he had to open up Bolivia for service. And he had to build a chapel in a tiny rural town on the border. They had to go 20 miles through the mountains with burros to bring supplies from a neighboring town. One day while going along, there was a  terrible thunderstorm and the river below the path turned into a raging mud torrent. One of the burros lost its footing and fell off the 200 ft. cliff in the river and was gone. He and his companion were so scared, but they knelt down and prayed, and the Lord protected them and gave him the most overwhelming sense of comfort and peace. We also had an amazing lesson on prayer from "The Trio" this sunday. They played the song "A Child's Prayer", and it was so touching. Oh, and also on Sunday we sang "We Are the Armies of Helaman", which was amazingly powerful.

I know that prayer works. I have prayed more here than I think I have in total since I was baptized. And it is amazing. I know that God listens, and that prayer can strengthen you, guide you, comfort you, and help you in innumerable other ways. I know this mission will change my life -- it already has started to. Thank you so much for the support and love you've given me and are giving me out here. I love the letters: the news, funny stories, and testimonies. I miss you, but wouldn't want to miss this for the world. Stay strong, and remember God Loves YOU.

Con Amor
Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment