Friday, December 9, 2011

Two Weeks In

I´ve been here two weeks, and it´s been hard. The walking is really getting to me. We probably only go about 5 miles a day, but in dress shoes it's really hard. Also, it´s been quite hot here. It´s not really any more humid than in Utah, but it's just as hot, especially in Sunday clothes. I´m still in the sprawling city of Santiago, in a neighborhood and ward called Lo Prado. We live with the Zone leader and his companion. The other comp, Elder Gallucci, is from Argentinia and the two ZL´s are from the states: Elder Marrott from Texas and Elder Dearden, my companion, from Boston. It´s hard making sure I´m speaking Spanish all the time with fellow gringo companions. I met Tanner Barlow, a fellow class officer from Jordan High, at our celebratory day of sports today. We got the mission monthly goal of 79 baptisms. We had the baptism of a wonderful old man-Jose-yesterday. I´ll send picts next week. And, testimony meeting was great. To contact people we talk to everybody, on the street and "tocar puertas". The area is kind of like super lower class suburb so it's easier to see them on the streets and in homes. The people are almost always friendly, but very few actually want to listen. We´re in a transition phase right now, where we´re determining which investigators to try and keep working with and which to drop. We finally found some service in the garden of a Catholic "viajita", but she´ll need time to come around to our message. I try to talk a little each time, and when we actually teach formal lessons I talk a lot more. There are some Christmas lights and decorations up, but not many. The children are the cutest - to see 4-year-olds speaking rapid spanish is the cutest. We go to bed at 11:30 and wake up at 7:30. I´ve got to go, but I´ll write more next week...
Con Mucho Amor
Parry

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your mission experiences.

    Is there any chance someone has a better photo of you than the one currently on your blog with the heavy shadows?

    ReplyDelete