Monday, January 21, 2013

Thoughts of Bestefar and Two Weeks of Updates


January 14

Hello,
This week is tinged with sad reflections on the passing of Bestafar (Grandpa).  Fortunately I had the chance to talk with him briefly this Christmas when I Skyped home.  He was a wonderful man.  He led his family in righteous optimism, faithfulness, hope, hard work and surety.  His desire to have 12 children miraculously happened, and in the process he changed to an Israel-like patriarch.  His influence permeates the countless posterity and friends whose lives he touched through his service, guidance, and example.  He made good on the commandment to love others as yourself and to teach your children righteous principles that they may govern themselves. 

A man who could have lost himself in the difficult and time-consuming personal roofing business, always spent time with his cherished family.  I have heard many tales of trips taken in summers, of family vacations, of concerts and recitals.  He was the perfect companion of Bestamor, a wonderful, active woman who passed on ahead.  While she was always busy planning another activity or taking care of the kids and their busy lives, he was always supportive and must have attended 100´s of recitals, plays, sport games, mission farewells, and other events in his years as father and grandfather. 

He was an example to me of how a gentleman should be.  I never heard him raise his voice (though with 12 kids in a motor home I´m sure he did a couple of times :).  I always saw him treat people with respect and patience. He had style, poise, and a depth of personality that was magnetic. He maintained a strong testimony of God and his love towards us.  I had the privilege of receiving a letter from him just over a year ago.  In it he compliments my service and testifies of the need of scriptures and their positive influence in his life.  While his loss is felt in his grand posterity and circle of influence, we know that his pain has seceded.  And, now he is resting with his beloved Carol and two younger sons. 


I had changes today.  I left Elder Licea in Compañia and am now in Cerro Colorado in Renca.  Elder Licea was great.  A good friend, a good missionary, and a good laugh.  We got along great and he´ll have a successful mission ahead of him.  My companion is an Argentine named Elder Robustelli.  He´s got almost a year in the mission.  I´ll miss Compañia so much.  I loved the ward, the sector, and the converts that I was privileged to have there.  When I left most of the ward gave me heartfelt goodbyes.  It feels good to know that they appreciate the work and love that I put in there.  I left many best friends there. But, changes must happen, and I´m looking forward to the new area.  It appears to be similar to Conchalí 14- my second area.  It is situated between the hills of Renca and Colorado.  The hills are dry mounds of rocks with spindly trees poking out.  The most difficult part of Chilean environment is the sun.  It feels like we´re ants below a magnifying glass.  There is very little protection from the rays in this part of the world.  So while the actual temperature is not-kill me, the permanent tanning bed above makes some days INSOPORTABLE.

I´m going to be spend more time focused on writing worthwhile letters home, if you promise to do the same ;)

Tu Misionero
Elder Parry Harrison

January 21, 2013

Hey :)

Two of my thoughts:


We are not given permission to judge only to distinguish between good and evil.  God only can judge.  We should only distinguish between that which is good for us, and that which harms us. 

Why I don´t write so much about the mission itself:  All have experimented or understand more or less, what it is.  I want to chronicle my learning, observations, and growth.  Not, the day to day going-ons.
I almost exclusively quote from the prophets when I give talks because my word is Not scripture.  My word has very little  power.

Now, about the last week.  I enjoy my companion a lot.  He´s easy to get along with, and is a great missionary who is obedient and diligent out of love not obligation.  He´s got a year and is from Mar de Plata Argentina.  He´s an identical twin and his brother is serving in the mission Viña del Mar. 

I like the sector.  It reminds me a lot of my second, Conchalí.  It´s certainly much more flaite than the center.  Madre commented that it seems more rural and desert like.  Haha, that´s all of the mission.  We are, here, stationed just below two large cerros(hills).  Cerro Colorado and Cerro Renca.  We´re planning on climbing Cerro Renca soon.  The ward is small and a little dysfunctional but the people are very loving.  We have a great Colombian lady whose progressing towards her baptisms.  She and her partner(less active member) have listened to the missionaries a lot.  They recently got married and now she´s very optimistic about being baptized.  Small note- there is an epidemic of members living out of wedlock.

Thanks so much for  your letters and support

Tu misionero
Elder Parry Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment