Monday, October 29, 2012

Sunshine from Chile


Hey :)

First off, last week I neglected to mention that we had the opportunity to listen to Elder Bednar in a training last week, joined by the East Mission.  He talked about teaching by the spirit and learning by faith.  It was very impactful and enlightening.  Some notables:

  • We are called by prophecy - the Prophet acts as such every day
  • Foolish traditions of our fathers  applies to the false traditions in the Church.  (That which is not simple doctrine or general authority approved practices.)
  • Joseph Smith asked to act.  He prayed to know which Church to JOIN.  
  • Faith is the principal of action and power.
  • Goals of what type of disciple you want to become
  • Goals give the illusion of control;  In the things that matter, we are not in control, we have never been, and shouldn`t want to be.
  • If we have enough faith anything will happen, but only if God wants it.
  • Not because of us but in spite of us

Me Update:

I have been stuck in a slump the last several months;  with a lack of engagement, investment, and energy.  While I soldiered on, my heart wasn`t in it.  Thankfully, and miraculously, the rain has lifted and I can see clearly now.  I`m fully involved and happy in the work of the vineyard.

Thoughts from the week
Last Sunday a young girl from the ward, named Patricia, got baptized.  It caused me to reflect back on my own baptism and the positive memories I have of the experience.

In gospel principles I had the surprise to find that the photo for Chapter 41 - The Spirit World is of the family of my uncle Leif that passed away around 8 years ago.  I bore my testimony to the class of the comforting power of the knowledge of the plan of salvation, and how his family has reacted because of their faith.

Last night we got to teach a wonderful Muslim man from Pakistan.  He`s lived in Chile 2 years and already speaks Spanish very well.  He was extremely friendly.  I was very grateful for my knowledge and appreciation of cultures and other faiths as it makes my life richer and made it easier to relate to him.

We must testify and preach of Christ more, we sometimes get caught up in doctrinal or useless intricacies of the gospel and forget of who we teach.

Miracles are real, and happen in today`s world, but if we can not see them, it is because of a lack of faith:
Mormon 9:7-25
Ether 12:12,16
Moroni 7:27,29,37

Mucho Amor y Gracias por todo su apoyo 

Elder Parry Harrison

P.S.

Two wonderful talks that are must reads:
I`m not sure if I already attached this link



No comments:

Post a Comment